Saturday, July 23, 2005

Contaminated, Cirkus Gallery, SKC Belgrade



Contaminated was celebration of the dance between good and evil, Man and woman in the heart of what was still at the time felt like quite a tense city to visit.

I don't know if it still is but Belgrade in 2003 and 2005 still housed a chunk of buildings wrecked by the Nato bombs. I remember staying with Miroslavs friend Jonny in 2003 and sensing still a fair amount of hostility towards britain in him and some of his friends we met. Being Scottish helped alot though. People allways love Scotland.

The exhibition came about when we were organising our second tour of the Balkans with the charity Firefly. I was really keen to make some new work while we were travelling and I was put intouch with Paula Miklosevic through my friends Milena and Miroslav. Paula was curating the Cirkus Cirkus gallery in the Belgrade Kultural Centre at the time and invited me to exhibit there, even though it was primaraly a photography Gallery she felt my collage work fitted well.

Upon reaching Belgrade, similair to the exhibtion Jake and I had completed in Cologne I spent three days scouring the city for Collage material without much luck. It was only when I stumbled across a tiny bookshop in a side street basement in the north of the city did I find a golmine. I still feel quite guilty as I cleared the old man out of his magazine collection for little over $30. He seemed happy though.





































No comments:

Post a Comment

ARCHIVE